VINA-D21 ARM Cortex M0+ Control Module
Based on the ATSAMD21G18A
The VINA-D21 is a powerful, robust, pluggable control module designed for modular control applications. Built with all-industrial grade components and features, it is well-suited for a wide variety of automation and control requirements, including harsh environments.
The VINA-D21 Control Module saves time and money by providing a proven, modular design, that enables custom application-specific solutions to move from the drawing board to the finished product quickly.
VINA-D21 enables you to develop your application-specific board independently of the controller section. This simplifies your design, saves CAD time during the design phase, reduces errors that can cost weeks of PCB re-manufacture to correct, and saves debug time during the prototype and testing phases. By starting with VINA-D21, you start from a known-good foundation, reducing complexity and risk.
Incorporate the VINA-D21 in your designs over and over again and multiply your savings. Useful for custom applications, one-off projects, breadboarded prototypes, and even standalone projects. VINA-D21 has all of the common essentials built-in, on-board.
To get you started even more quickly, BDMICRO provides the Autodesk Eagle CAD part for VINA-D21. Getting started is as easy as downloading the part and adding it to your application specific design, allowing you to focus on your custom application's needs, with all the right connectors, headers, and other circuitry needed for your project solution.
Capable of running standalone, modular piggy back on application-specific boards, or breadboarded, the VINA-D21 is a great choice for your next project.
VINA-D21 at a glance
CircuitPython and UF2 Bootloader pre-installed, easy Quick-Start, flexible power input, powerful debug capabilities, Large 64MB SPI Flash Filesystem for data and program storage, Microchip Atmel ATSAMD21G18A ARM Cortex-M0+ MCU, I2C connectors, UARTs, A/D Inputs, DAC, Digital I/O, USB, Capacitive Touch, RTC Crystal.
See the ATSAMD21G18A Datasheet for detailed information on the MCU's capabilities.
Links and Downloads
- VINA-D21 Manual
- Eagle Part Library for VINA-D21
- CircuitPython on GitHub
- CircuitPython Documentation
- UF2 Bootloader on GitHub
- Microchip Atmel ATSAMD21G18A Datasheet
- Microchip Atmel Start
Everything you need from your Controller Module:
POWER : Powerful 32-bit ARM Cortex M0+ microcontroller — based on the Microchip Atmel ATSAMD21G18
INDUSTRIAL GRADE : All industrial spec parts for reliable operation in demanding applications
CONNECTIVITY : USB interface for connecting to your development PC or Laptop computer for programming; provides virtual com port for CircuitPython console and UART, and mass storage filesystem interface to the 64MB on-board flash for programs and data storage; can additionally be used in your application
CONTROL & INTERFACING : Two I2C interface ports directly on-board for connecting the multitude of sensors, displays, keypads, etc, on this common bus; additionally, VINA-D21 brings out Digital I/O, UARTs, I2C, SPI, A/D, DAC, USB, and many other useful control and interfacing capabilities to the edge connections
DEVELOPMENT & DEBUG : CircuitPython and UF2 Bootloader pre-installed to get started developing right away with just a laptop or PC and a text editor; no extra software or IDEs to install and no extra hardware to purchase; and with a standard ARM Cortex SWD debug header on-board, low level programming and source-level, single-step debugging is easy using a hardware programmer like the Segger J-Link
DATA STORAGE : Large 64 MB of on-board flash filesystem storage space for your programs and data presented as an external drive on your development workstation; soldered directly to the board, this flash storage won’t suffer from corrosion or vibration in harsh environments like SD-Card type storage are prone
FLEX VOLTAGE : Robust power section with wide voltage input range for flexible and reliable operation, and enough headroom to supply power to other devices - up to about 3 amps; incorporates industrial grade Molex latch-lock connector that will not vibrate loose even in the most demanding applications
- Powerful 32-bit ARM Cortex M0+ using the ATSAMD21G18A
- 256KB Firmware Flash
- 32KB Static RAM
- CircuitPython pre-installed
- Easy to get start developing immediately using only a PC or Laptop, and a text editor
- UF2 Bootloader per-installed
- No IDEs or complicated development environments to set up or install and no additional hardware needed for programming
- USB port for programming and interfacing
- Virtual COM port for connecting to the console using standard terminal emulator from a PC or Laptop - no additional hardware required for programming
- Large 64MB Flash Filesystem for data and programs
- Mass Storage Device interface to PC or Mac for downloading programs
- Wide voltage input from 3.7 to 24V with robust Latch-Lock connector that won't vibrate loose
- Can be powered from USB port
- Many on-board peripherals for control and interfacing, including Digital I/O, UARTs, I2C, SPI, ADC, DAC
- 2 x I2C connectors, 4-pins each supplying SCL, SDA, GND, and optional 3.3V to power external I2C devices like sensors and displays
- On-board I2C pull-ups, can be optionally disabled
- ARM Cortex SWD Debug Port for low-level firmware flashing and source level single-step debugging with hardware programmer support such as the Segger J-Link
- Small Size: 1.6 x 2.0 inches
- Low Power
- All Industrial grade parts, ready for demanding control applications